How do I upgrade my blog to use the new MT 4.25 styles and templates?
That is a good question! The Movable Type upgrade on June 15, 2009 means that UThink is now using Movable Type 4.25. This also means that UThink now has a whole bunch of new features (including tagging, page creation, custom fields, etc.). However, if you created your blog before June 15 many of these features won't work for you.
This is because your blog is using MT 3 templates and styles. This guide will help you bring your blog up to speed and use MT 4.25 templates and styles. Please note: if you have made any customizations to your blog templates, such as incorporating unique images or links into your template, this process will not retain those customizations! This process will create a standard classic blog site. Please back up your templates if you have made customizations!
1. First, login to UThink and choose "Design" -> "Templates"
2. From there, select "Refresh Blog Templates" in the lower right hand menu:
3. Make sure "Refresh Classic Blog template set" is selected, as well as "Make backups of existing templates first."
4. Now, you might think you are done. Wrong! Now we have to create archive mappings to the new templates. Find the "Archive Templates" section on the Design -> Templates page (after refreshing the Classic Blog template set you should already be in the page). You will see four new Archive Templates: Category Archive Listing, Entry, Monthly Entry Listing, and Page. You should note that none of these new archive templates have an "Archive Path" associated with them. That is what we are going to create.
5. Select "Category Entry Listing." Just click the link. On the Category Entry Listing page, find the "Template Options" section and click on it to open the options. Then click "Create Archive Mapping." In the drop down menu that results, choose "Category." Click "Add." It should look like this:
Remember to click "Save"!
6. Do the same for Entry, Monthly Entry Listing, and Page. Keep in mind though that each of these will have a archive mapping type. For example, the Category Entry Listing above had the "Category" archive type that you selected in the drop down menu. The Entry archive mapping will have "Entry" in the archive type drop down menu. The "Monthly Entry Listing" should be selected as "Monthly." And finally, the "Page" archive mapping type should be "Page."
8. Now delete your old MT 3 templates. They will most likely be named the "Individual Archive Template," the "Category Archive" (not the "Category Entry Listing"), and the "Date-Based Archive." Delete these by going to the Design -> Templates page, clicking the checkbox next to them, and then "Delete." You should now have four archive types: Category Entry Listing, Entry, Monthly Entry Listing, and Page. These are the four standard MT 4.25 archive types.
9. After you have created all the Archive mappings, and deleted your old templates, you may Rebuild or "publish" the entire site. You may get an error for the RSS 1.0 index template. You can delete that template by going to Design -> Templates -> Index Templates section, and then deleting the RSS 1.0 Index (index.rdf).
10. That should be it. If you have any additions to these instructions (or any "gotchas" that were missed) feel free to add something to this wiki entry!
- 09 Jun 2009